In many situations, a person will have an insurance claim because of a loss or damage to personal property.

In a common situation, there is a water leak or fire at a residence, which causes substantial damage to household items.   In these situations, a homeowner will need to make an insurance claim.

There are several important things to do to ensure that the claim is promptly handled.  First contact the insurance company to report the claim, and fill out any necessary forms.

Second, you will need to provide an itemization of the items which you claim are destroyed or damaged.    In these situations, it is recommended that you record the loss, using a camera or videotape.    After you have a record of the loss, try to obtain any documents showing the purchase of the items claims.  You want to keep proof of your loss, until your insurance company pays your claim in full.

The pictures and video are proof of your actual loss, and will help prevent a dispute with the insurance company about the extent of your loss (you don’t want to have to argue with an insurance company about which items were lost or damaged).

If you have any questions or need assistance, please feel free to contact

Attorney Robert M. Singer

2572 Whitney Avenue

Hamden, Connecticut  06518




A Power of Attorney is a legal document which allows one person to act on behalf of attorney person.    One person has the “power” to act on behalf of the other person.

The Principal is the person who gives the power to act, on behalf of himself or herself.

The agent is the person who gets the power to act on behalf of the agent.

A Power of Attorney is often given from a parent, as principal, to a child, as agent.  Often a parent is ill and unable for fully care from himself or herself and needs assistance from a child in care.

A power of attorney can be “durable.”    With a durable power of attorney, an agent is still authorized to act on behalf of a principal even if a principal becomes incapacitated, unable to make decisions.   If a power of attorney is not durable, a power of attorney ends when a principal becomes incapacitated.     Under recent law changes, a Power of Attorney is durable, except if the Power of Attorney document specifically states that the Power is not durable.

Anyone considering a Power of Attorney must be certain that the person who will act as agent is trustworthy.  There have been too many instances of an agent not acting in the best interests of the principal.

There are two standard forms which are available for use.   An explanation of the law can be found at

If you have an questions or would like assistance, please feel free to contact

Attorney Robert M. Singer

2572 Whitney Avenue

Hamden, Connecticut




Advanced Directives allow a person to make health care decisions.   The standard Advanced Directives documents in Conecticut are Appointment of Health Care Representative, Living Will, Document of Anatomical Gift, and Designation of Conservator of the Person.   There is a Consolidated single form which people can use.

The Connecticut Department of Social Services has a package explaining the forms, and providing the Consolidated form.

The forms can be found using the link below (you will need to cut and paste into your web browser).

These forms are a part of anyone’s estate planning.

For further information or assistance, please feel free to contact

Attorney Robert M. Singer

2572 Whitney Avenue

Hamden, CT  06518