Partition Sales in Connecticut

In Connecticut, two or more parties can hold property as joint tenants with right of survivorship. In a typical situation, two parties own property together, jointly. The property is held in survivorship so that when one party dies the other property owner becomes the sole owner.

Unfortunately, the joint owners may not always agree on how to manage the property. For example, one owner may want to sell the property, and the other property may refuse to sell.

In these situations, one party can go to court, to get a court order for a partition sale, under Connecticut General Statutes 52-495. A court will order that a committee be appointed to do a partition sale.

Unfortunately, it can be expensive to get a court order for a partition sale, because of the attorney’s fees and costs involved. In addition, the committee appointed must be paid.

If you are having problems with another joint tenant, please feel free to contact

Attorney Robert M. Singer

2572 Whitney Avenue

Hamden, CT 06518


Serving New Haven County and all of Connecticut

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.