For people having a problem with a home improvement contractor, you may be able to collect money from the Home Improvement Guaranty Fund.
There are several requirement in order to collect.
- The contractor must have been registered with the Department of Consumer Protection
- You must obtain a judgment against the contractor. (an exception applies if the contractor files for bankruptcy).
- The work must have been done on a residential property – single family, multi-family not more than 6 units, condo, or coop.
- You must apply to the fund within 2 years of obtaining a court judgment
- You must attempt to collect the judgment – an exception applies for small claims.
- The claim must be for work performed, not just materials.
Unfortunately, too many contractors do poor
If you had unsatisfactory work
Attorney Robert M. Singer
2572 Whitney Avenue
Hamden, CT 06518
Serving New Haven County and all of Connecticut.